We took notes on the Tony Robbins Ultimate Power audio-book on audible.com and thought that we would share the notes here, firstly as a reference point rather than scribbles in a notepad and secondly as this may be useful to others reading this… that’s you I suppose!
“The quality of my life is the quality of my communication” — to know if an experience is good or bad you need to be able to communicate with yourself. — communication with others gives us a sense of connectedness — 7% of human communication is the words that are used, 55% is physiology (body posture, facial expressions, breathing pace etc.)
Tony Robbins was down and out and living on the street. He, at the time had however recently attended a seminar from Jim Rohn in which is he remembered 2 key points:
it is not what happens but what you do with what happens
for things to get better you need to change
For the second point Tony Robbins took it upon himself to work hard to gain as much knowledge as possible. However, knowledge is not enough. You need Personal Power!
Personal Power means the ability to act. To take action!
To reiterate the meaning of Personal Power Col. Sanders (the founder of KFC) was used as an example in that, at the age of 65, he pitched and received a “no” from no less than 1,009 business' before he got his first “yes” to sell his chicken.
“Affirmation with discipline is the beginning of delusion. Affirmation with discipline create miracles.”
The 3 Steps to Personal Power
“you need to get yourself to the gym…” only you can do this. You need to have the desire to make the change in your life.
1/ specifically define what you want, 2/ specifically define what other want and find a way to fill others needs quickly and elegantly. If you can master this skill you’ll fulfil all of your wants. (Tony Robbins used NLP here to help fulfil others needs).
Tony Robbins is a believer that talents are developed. To do "2/" above and to find a way to fulfil what others want you need to model human excellence…
Duplicate their belief systems (“what you believe you can achieve”)
Duplicate their mental syntax [note to self you look into this]
Duplicate their physiology (posture, breathing, tonality, facial expression, tension/relaxation etc.) Tony Robbins really believes that how you act determines how people use their brains.
If you follow the above 3 steps you will have the potential to squeeze 20–30 years learning into one day!
See someone successful? Model them!
Turn your fear into power.
The 7 disciplines of success:
1. I always act from personal power — I realise there are no failures but only results/outcomes. — I always succeed in producing results. No failures! Just learns!
2. I am totally responsible for my world. I take Charge! — believe (lie)* that all is a result of your actions/thoughts. — “If you don’t like it, change it!”
3. I am always stretching. – Force a scenario where you have to perform!
Make a commitment to self to do something beyond your present ability
Make this commitment public
Model someone who has already done it
Act — follow the model. Act like you know what to do!
4. I am committed to unconsciousness competency. — ‘flip the switch’ You don’t need to know how it works.
5. I always act from personal integrity — Integrity mean being true to yourself. — TR makes sure that he always lies (believes) within integrity. — Daily a choose actions match you beliefs (lies)*.
6. Meaning of communication is response that you get. — if you don’t like the response you need to change your approach — intentions mean nothing. Results mean everything. Keep changing your approach until you get the results you want.
7. I am committed to doing WEIT (what ever it takes) — walk your talk. Don’t be interested. Be committed!
The 7 things to look at in you life to make a change. 7 character traits of the successful:
Have a purpose — what can I get passionate about?
Belief — believe in your ability to achieve
Strategy — organise to do things to get results
Values — be clear about what’s most important in your life.
Energy level — assess diet and how to eat to maximise energy
Bonding Power — find a way of connecting what you’re doing with others
Develop Communication Skills — work on these —
“The quality of my life is the quality of my communication”
* Tony Robbins encourages you think the word "lie" when talking about your beliefs. This is not because they are lies but to remind yourself that they are the beliefs that you impose on yourself. They are not laws, are different to each and every one of us and can be changed with the correct desire.
Okay so why is this relevant to Get Into Nuclear you may be saying??
The website is aimed at people who are looking to find out how they can find a job in the UK nuclear industry. If you have come to this site with the right into nuclear and demonstrate much of the above. What we try to do is put you in a position to fully understand you goals, your desire for a new role and to be able to model success.
These all boil down to three key questions:
- Do you have the KNOWLEDGE? Is it clear what you want and what you need to do take be successful?
- Do you have the ABILITY? Do you have the skills and experience to land the role? If not, do you know what courses are available to you to develop yourself?
- Do you have the DESIRE? Are you willing to act to succeed?
The above will help you with all three of these but in-particular the third question.
Hopefully you enjoyed this quick summary and it will encourage to do some further research and implement.